Foundation scripture Acts 6:2-7
Then the twelve summoned the multitude of the disciples and said, “It is not desirable that we should leave the word of God and serve tables. ThereforeŠSeek out from among you seven men of good reputation, full of the Holy Spirit and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this businessƜ” and the saying pleased the whole multitudeŠand when they had prayed, they laid hands on them. Then the word of God spread, and the number of the disciples multiplied greatly in Jerusalem, and a great many of the priests were obedient to the faith.
Vision- Who are you?
We are “Seven”- men and women of good reputation, full of the Holy Spirit and wisdom. Our desire is to see the word of God spread, and the number of disciples multiplied.
We will peruse the presence of God in expectation and obedience- as a community of faith who love God and each other through joy and adversity.
Like the “Seven” of Acts 6 we are called to be active disciples, not passive believers. To work together to serve the wider community, using our individual and collective gifts and talents in a way that will have the greatest impact for the kingdom of God.
“Seven” is more than a place to hear a message or be entertained, it is a place to sing, laugh and cry, a place of love and support, of honesty and discovery. Above all, Seven is a place for peoples gifting to be discovered, encouraged and exercised for the building and strengthening of God’s kingdom- a place where the future of Christ is to be realised.
When and how do you meet?
1. Regular “discipleship” meetings on Friday evenings from 6:30 till late. Starting with a meal and followed by a discipleship time involving fun activities, Bible based teaching, discussion, sharing, prayer, worship and fun.
2. Varied social activities interspersed on some Friday evenings or other occasions as appropriate- always open to guests/visitors.
3. Periodic “public” events e.g. meeting in Costa Coffee- open to guests/visitors plus the wider church family and their guests.
4. Occasional Sunday meetings and “experience” visits to other churches.
5. Majority of sundays and all Feast sundays attendance at SBC
6. Dedicated on-line communication/news board.
7. Activities currently pitched at age range roughly 12 years and upwards, young people have discipleship either together with the adults or separately depending on the subject matter.
What are you working on?
1. Practical ministry- Involvement and/or support of the SBC Foodworks ministry
2. Developing/Maintaining the Costa coffee evening format
3. Other methods of outreach
4. Service to the wider church family-event hosting